Saturday, January 12, 2008

Good Old Saturday

It feels like old times today. When I still lived in Montgomery, my mom and I and David would usually go shopping nearly every Saturday. We didn't always buy anything. Sometimes, we would just stroll David around and look at things. Sometimes we would do lunch or go to the card shop and look around. Nothing special, really. But so much more than special.

When my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, it instantly changed our lives. All of our lives. There were no more Saturday shopping trips for nearly a year. Between the chemo and the surgery and the radiation, she was out of commission for quite some time. And by the time she felt better, David was playing sports and we had just gotten out of the habit. But today was so nice. Mom drove up this morning for David's "basketball" game. I use the term basketball quite loosely. They do play with a basketball, but the game these kids play doesn't even closely resemble the game I know as basketball. But that's a whole other entry. We went to the game and then stopped at the mall and then had lunch at one of the best little bakeries I have ever been in. Then we went over to a cute little froofy shop with mainly handmade clothes for girls. Just like old times. Just like it used to be. You would never know that just two years ago, we weren't sure if we would lose my mother to the cancer. We weren't sure if she would make it for another Saturday shopping trip again. But she did. It makes me realize how many countless numbers of people walk among us on a daily basis with battles all their own, and you don't even recognize it. It makes me realize how I always need to treat others with kindness every day of life, no matter how I feel or what I am going through, because I never know what they may be going through. And I especially need to be so grateful that my mother made it through and appreciate the time I have with her.

No comments: