Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ahhh, the Dentist

Seems like everyone wants a dollar or two from us lately. Let's add the dentist to that list.

We had our six month check-up this morning for both the rug rats. No cavities, which seems nothing short of a miracle with our high level of sugar intake around this house. But there appears to be a slight problem with one of David's molars. The back one on the right side, I think, is coming in - well, has come in - at an angle and applying pressure to the adjoining tooth. Because of the pressure, that adjoining tooth is beginning to deteriorate prematurely. So, what's a dentist to do? She would like to go in and insert a small wire thing-a-ma-doodle and then twist it a bit to apply pressure against both the teeth encouraging them to move away from one another. Hopefully, this would stop the deterioration of the one therefore saving it and the possibility of orthodontic involvement (or a space saving device). Bad news is there's no guarantee that the baby tooth can be saved. He may loose it no matter what we do.

This may not sound like a big deal to some, and in the scheme of things, it is definitely not. But I can't help but think back to my childhood when my trips to the orthodontist and periodontist started around this age. I had all sorts of odd things wrong with my mouth. My top palette was too narrow, and I had this strange device implanted and my mom would have to take this key and twist it every night to basically stretch the roof of my mouth. Very uncomfortable for me, and now I realize that it wasn't the best experience for my mom either. I had too little gum tissue on the bottom, and so, I had to have a gum graft done. Not pleasant either. I remember that one completely. The doctor that did the graft talked about the LSU football game the whole time and I remember thinking at ten years old, "Shouldn't he be focusing a little more on my teeth and a little less on football?" And I must not forget the braces. Five flipping years of the metal and the rubber bands and the headgear. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the jaw surgery to correct the under bite which left the six screws in my jaw that I just had to have removed (which, by the way, was way more painful a recovery than delivering an eight pound, fourteen ounce baby vaginally - just thought you needed to know).

All that being said - this is definitely something I need to think about and pray about. Because it does effect a child. Having something in between the teeth applying pressure is painful. It will be a weird pain, and I know what that feels like. And I just don't know what to do right now. My mind tells me that it needs to be done, that we should try to save the baby tooth because that is the ideal situation. But my heart tells me I don't want to put him through the process of having it done with the chances that it might not work. Like I said, I will have to do some thinking and praying. I made the appointment for the first week of February so I would have plenty of time to decide.

This all seems pretty stupid in light of yesterday's entry. I am sure the Burgess family would love to have to make this decision about Bronner.

3 comments:

Erika said...

Can they not just pull the baby tooth? Or would the other tooth move too much.

Erika said...

Just logging in. Stupid work restrictions.

Rebecca said...

I don't think your concerns are stupid. It is always a big deal and something to worry about when it is your own child. You just want what is best for your child, and that is the way it should be.