Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Cost of Being Cheap

It's no secret that we are broke right now. Two main factors make this a fact: the ever-changing economical environment's effect on the car business and the construction of our massive pool this past Spring. The economy is completely out of our hands, and you just sort of learn to accept that when you are in the car business. And the pool - oh yes, the pool that started out small and ended up the size of a small pond and double the price we originally wanted to spend. We do love the pool, especially when it is warm and you can actually swim in it instead of just fish millions upon millions of leaves out of it. We will certainly enjoy the pool for years and years to come. But had we have known just how bad this year would be, we certainly would have scaled back our plans and gone with something, well, a little less costly.

All that being said, I have been searching for ways to cut back the monthly expenses where I can. I shop the sales, especially the buy one get one free deals at Publix. And when a telemarketer called a few weeks ago and I actually decided to answer it and it was my beloved cable provider offering me an exceptional deal on phone service, I felt it was divine intervention. You see, I have been paying around $80 a month for local, unlimited long distance, and caller id. My cable company is giving me the low introductory rate of $14.95 for the first year. Who could resist?

So, this morning, my technician arrived at 10:00, well within his "from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm" window. This was impressive in and of itself. He began to work, and asked me to help him get the lights on properly down the stairs. He busied himself for about an hour and brought me the slip to sign verifying the work done. After he left, I went downstairs to turn off all the lights and see what damage had been done. And I always check to make sure all the doors are still locked. I am always afraid someone will unlock the door and plan to come back to do me ill will. Anyway - I was shocked and horrified at the sight he left behind. The picture below is what I saw. I don't know what I am supposed to do with all that crap. I am so disappointed. And I cannot believe that he didn't even ask me if I had a preference for where all this crap would go. I mean, I so obviously would not have chosen for this crap to just be sitting in the middle of the floor. My husband is going to freak when he sees this mess. I guess the old adage is true - you get what you pay for. That's what I get for fifteen bucks a month.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is crazy. I can't believe he would just leave it like that!

Erika said...

Why did they have to install new lines anyway? Is the phone on a cable line? Weird.