Monday, November 5, 2007

Thirty-something

Today is my first full day of not being "thirty" but "thirty-something". It's a very strange thing turning thirty-one. I don't know why it feels so much older than thirty, but it just does. Last year was almost a relief - I am finally leaving those wretched twenties and entering a new decade, more certain of who I am and what I want. But thirty-one just seems like another year older and much less monumental. But leave it to me, and I'll make thirty-one as monumental as I can!

I can remember watching a TV show called "Thirty Something" in my childhood, and then I used to watch its reruns on Lifetime all the time. Then, the show seemed like an imaginary world where adults had children and stressed about bills and worked through the difficulties of marriage. It was all foreign to me then. But now I find myself living in that world. I am thirty-something with all that comes along with this decade. The stress, oh, the stress of money and children and marriage. And this past year has definitely been full to the brink of all those stresses! But it has also granted me so many joys and so many blessings. And through it all, the one constant is my God. And I think the older I get, the more I realize just how solid and true the Lord is. He has carried me and my family through many trials and will continue to do so. Last year was full of adventure, and tomorrow holds even more in store for us I am sure. So here's to another year of laughter and tears, of joy and pain, of memories that will last a lifetime.

2 comments:

Erika said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed my rendition of Happy Birthday. Larry and I had shared a bottle of wine at dinner. ;)

carrie said...

Happy Birthday. Welcome to the 30 something club. It is funny because 31 was easier than 30. Hope it willbe a great year!