Monday, November 26, 2007

Still pooped!

We had a great time in Auburn this weekend! The only thing that would have made it any better is a pair of fifty yard line tickets. But we didn't have that, so watching on a TV beside a cozy fire was the next best thing. And we really enjoyed it. I must say that there was probably a record setting crowd this weekend. I have never seen that many people in one area before. I would dare say that there were just as many people there to go into the game as were there just to tailgate. Some good friends of ours were also there, so we walked back and forth between tailgates and walked all over the campus and watched all the crazy college kids. We had a great time. But of course, we came home completely exhausted. I had forgotten how loud hotels really are. On Friday evening, our neighbors decided to sit up and chit chat until three in the morning. I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I could hear their voices and I could not go to sleep to save my life. Surprisingly, Saturday night was relatively quiet with the exception of the phone call we had in the middle of the night looking for Rex. Needless to say, last night, when we laid down in our bed at 9:00, I passed out and didn't wake up until 7:00 this morning when Scott woke me up. I think I could have slept until noon.

So today, my house is in complete disarray as I am putting away the pumpkins and pulling out the Christmas decorations. I have already got the tree up downstairs. We have a bonus room in our basement and my husband has made it his Auburn room. So last year I bought a white tree with white lights and I decorate it all in orange and blue. Too much fun!! And today I am working upstairs getting everything out. And of course Madalyn has been right in the middle of it all. This will probably be her first year to really be excited about it all. Last year, she really still didn't quite understand what was going on. And I know that our days of David believing in Santa are waning. He really started asking questions last year - Is he real? How does he get to every body's house? Is that the real Santa at the mall? And I am determined not to tell him. I plan never to tell him that Santa is not real. My mom told me that Santa wasn't real when I was five. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I sat in her lap, looking at the Service Merchandise book, showing her all the things I wanted Santa to bring, and instead of telling me that even Santa would not bring me everything I wanted, she told me the cold, hard truth. She doesn't even know it, but I don't think I have ever forgiven her for that. How could you tell a five year old that Santa is not real? Why wouldn't you want to stretch my childhood out as far as you possibly could? But, for whatever reason, that is what she decided to do. And I don't really harbor any resentment for it, but it has definitely been one of those things that stuck in my mind and helped me be the parent I am. No matter how smart David is, no matter how mature or disciplined he can be, he is still in fact a mere child. with hopes and dreams and a huge imagination. And he still believes in Santa. And instead of telling him that we don't have the money to buy him everything he wants, I just tell him that Santa knows what he needs, what he wants, and what he can handle. And that no one can have everything they want at any point in their life - Christmas or otherwise. So this year, I am sure we will have even more in depth questions, and I will answer the best I can. But I will never come out and say those words. I just don't think I will ever be able to bring myself to say it.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I remember some child at school telling me that Santa was not real. I asked mom about it and she said, "what do you think?" I think I am going to do this with my children one day. Try and let them logically figure it out for themselves. I say all that, and it may turn out to be a disaster, but we shall see.