Friday, November 23, 2007

Pooped!

I am just plain worn out. From the minute I woke up to the time Grey's came on last night, I ran like a mad dog. But you know, I definitely stopped for my favorite show. And I am most grateful for the fact that Thanksgiving is over, and I won't have to do it again for a whole year. Everything turned out great, and we had a big crowd. But I am always glad to see them go and change into my sweatpants and get everything put away and then sit down. It is rewarding but exhausting. And I do wish that I could do it for just my family one year. This all started for Scott's family, and I still invite my parents and my oldest brother because they live close enough to come. But it would be great to have just my family together at my house. Or to be able to go to my grandmother's house. Those are really my fondest childhood memories - times spent at my maternal grandmother's house. But I have traded off with Scott about the holidays - I do Thanksgiving here for his family, and every year, no matter what, as long as she is alive, I will be at my grandmother's house on Christmas Eve. That's a part of this wondrous thing called marriage. Give and take. Compromise. Fun, fun, fun!

So, yesterday, my oldest nephew came with my brother. The last time I saw him, he was not quite as tall as me. Now he is about two inches taller that me and will turn sixteen in a few weeks. Okay, first of all, am I really old enough to have a nephew that is sixteen? I remember when he was born. I was studying in the waiting room for my physical science exam. And it is almost like I blinked my eyes and now I have two kids of my own. It just seems so strange sometimes how my life has evolved. Sometimes it doesn't even seem like my own. I still feel like an awkward teenager inside sometimes, and I have to remind myself that I, indeed, am grown up. Anyway, I don't think I have the energy to get all deep and psychological today. I would really like to go and take a nap, but there is so much to do. Scott and I are supposed to be leaving tonight when he gets off work to go to Auburn for the weekend. We don't have tickets to the game; we are just going to be some of those crazy people who go just for the atmosphere. Actually, one of the managers at Scott's car lot has a son who played for Auburn several years ago. He and his family started a big tailgating tradition, and we went last year the Friday night before the game. Tons of food, tents, heaters, big screen TV, the works. And they are just really great people. So, somehow, we swung a babysitter, and I am really glad. I need to get out of this house and have a change in environment. I think we will have a good time, and hopefully we won't freeze to death!

2 comments:

carrie said...

I am sure you are exhausted! Is your daughter feeling better? I hope you had a good time in Auburn!

Erika said...

I'M not old enough for your nephew to be 16!