Monday, October 22, 2007

Oh, what fun!


We had a safe return home yesterday from Baton Rouge. Even though Auburn lost right at the very end, it was an exciting game and we had so much fun! We haven't been to a football game since David was born. You forget how exciting it is to watch it in person. And the LSU fans were very nice to us - no food thrown on me like the last time I was there. And really not even many hecklers after the game. Everyone just commented on what a great game it turned out to be. We had a great time - and I had my first experience riding in a police car. Sounds scandalous, I know, but it wasn't in the least.

Here's what happened: We took what's called the Tiger Transit from our hotel, the Sheraton, to the stadium. It costs $10 per person, but we figured it the best thing to do since we had no idea where to park or what the traffic situation would be like after the game. So when the game was over, we followed the masses out of the gates and back to where the bus would pick us up to return to the hotel. Well the buses were there, like seven of them, but they were already full with the doors shut, so we decided to wait there. After about thirty minutes of waiting, we asked an officer directing traffic what the deal was with the transit. She said that they should return, just to keep waiting. After about 45 minutes of waiting, we asked another officer who said that the buses should be back or we could walk to the campus police station and ask them to call us a cab. After another 30 minutes, I approached a large group of officers and begged for some help. By this time, we were exhausted and pretty much the only people left on the streets. Four little pitiful Auburn fans all alone on the streets of Baton Rouge. One of the officers, after talking to us for a while, had mercy on us and offered us a ride back to the hotel as soon as he was free to go. So, even though it was unmarked, I got to ride in a cop car for (thank goodness) the first time in my life. And I never really want to ride in one again for any reason. Especially in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. So, I didn't get to bed until 2 am Sunday morning. And I feel as though I have been run over by a truck. A big 'ole, log totin' truck.

So here's to you, Mr. Kind-hearted Louisiana State Trooper. We never got his name, or if we did, none of us could remember it. And we asked if he had a card, but he didn't have one on him. We wanted to send in a letter of thanks. So, I will try to look him up online. He is the head over narcotics for the western section of the state, so hopefully I can get his name somehow. Whoever he is, he has a good deed owed to him.

Tomorrow, I'll tell you the story about the 85 jalapenos I ate on top of my nachos in the third quarter. Not a pretty story, let me tell you. I know all three of you will be on the edge of your seats...

4 comments:

Erika said...

Hey you, I'm glad you made it home safely and you guys had a good time. I will be there in 3 weeks! yay!

Erika said...

Hey, I made you veggie pizza. ha ha

Rebecca said...

I have to admit I went to bed before the game was over, and was sad when I found out the score on Sunday. I am sure you guys had a great time anyway. College football games are always fun!

carrie said...

Glad to see that you made it back safely. How is your son doing?