Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Sugar Day!

Today is probably one of the hardest days for me to endure. Halloween. I will be surrounded by endless numbers of confections of various kinds. Chocolate, sour, and sweet. For those of you that don't already know, I have a bit of a food issue. I am not only into spicy things, but I will also eat nearly anything with sugar listed as its primary ingredient. Yesterday was especially difficult as I spent the day mixing a batch of Boo Mix (Chex mix with candy corn and M&M's thrown in for good measure). As I filled goody bags, I nibbled on M&M's and pretzels. Quite a tasty combo, if you haven't already tried it. And that is pretty much all I ate the whole day. And I mean "whole day" in its literal sense. Every time I went through the kitchen or past the kitchen or around the kitchen, I had to stop for just a few. Thank God I have been blessed with a relatively high metabolism. I am fortunate to eat these vast quantities of food and not be obese... yet. I fear that my bad habits will soon catch up with me.
After David, I had no problem losing weight. In fact, I got very tiny - as tiny as I was in high school. But while pregnant with Madalyn, though I gained a very reasonable amount of weight, I feasted on powdered doughnuts, Little Debbie snack cakes, and other carbs of the like. And I am still carrying ten pounds from that pregnancy. And then add that five pounds that fluctuate back and forth. Well, you understand what I am saying. I just need to get my rear in gear and get back to a healthier lifestyle. And this is the hardest time of year to do that. It's Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and then Christmas. So, I will give it my best shot. On our local NBC news last Sunday evening, they did a segment about a book written by a lady here in Birmingham about the Bible and health and it's teachings on how we should eat and exercise. I am going to try to find out the title and author and give it a shot. That would be great reading. You can learn about the Bible and healthy living all in one shot.
But here's the good news for the day: The leaves are starting to turn and it is just beautiful. Not quite as pretty as last year because so many of the trees around here did an early shedding due to our severe drought conditions. This is by far my favorite time of year. I love to open the windows and have the fresh air fill the house. And it is definitely great to not have the air running - or running up the power bill - for a change.

3 comments:

Erika said...

I love the photo of the leaf in the pool, which, by the way, I can't wait to see. Nine more days! I have on leopard ears and eyelashes today. I am digging these fake eyelashes. I think I'm going to buy some for my trip.

Rebecca said...

I know what you mean about all the candy. Tommorrow I am loading up most of ours and taking it to work to get it out of my house. Too many temptations!

carrie said...

Todd got lots of candy. The bad thing is he really doesn't like it. I have to get rid of it because I will eat it, too.