Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Fires

I absolutely cannot imagine what all these people are going through in California. I think that it would be the most helpless feeling in the world watching and knowing that a fire is nearing your home and there is nothing you can do to stop it. And I could lie and say that it wouldn't bother me, that they are just worldly possessions and they could be replaced, but it just wouldn't be that simple. Lives are being turned upside down. I know that you would have time to salvage some things, but there would be so much that you could not save. Your favorite coffee cup would be gone. The pictures that your kids had colored you - gone. Everything familiar and real and comfortable - ashes. I can imagine how hopeless I would feel if my child came to me and asked me about some random thing or toy that they find to be significant: "Mama, where's my little green Power Ranger that Nana gave to me?" "Mama, where's that little stuffed dog that I like to put in my stroller sometimes and pretend it's a baby?" And what would you say as a parent? How would you explain something that doesn't make sense? Let's be honest, all that stuff matters. It is what makes us feel at home. Little reminders of time spent with loved ones, places we have been, holidays and birthdays. Little things that to others might seem unimportant, but to you make a house feel like a home.

Today, when I trip over a toy or get aggravated that I can't find something, I think I'll pause and say thank you for my life. What a blessed and glorious life I have! I feel so humbled by the thought of all these people. I feel so shamed of what a selfish and spoiled life I live. I feel stupid for all the wasted time I have spent worrying about bills and credit cards. Maybe I should spend more time in prayer for others.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You are so right! Great thoughts! Also, I love the quotation mark blog too! It cracks me up! I was showing it to everyone at work.

Erika said...

I know how you feel. I just can't even imagine.

Erika said...

Of course, I am trying to compete. You know I always wanted to be just like you when I grew up.